I kinda agree with @eryn* that:
1. just being able to see one iteration of replies isn't enough to enable keeping track of conversations
2. social media as a *communication* tool is why we're here on Mastodon
3. ...instead of Twitspace or Fazebook, where social media is viewed more as an attention-absorbing, click-aggregating tool
4. ...which is the kind of thing that only being able to track one iteration of replies *does* tend to support.
TLDR: "new mentions only" kinda supports corporate thinking, where "all mentions" is more user-empowering.
* thread begins at https://toot.cat/@eryn/102654275634860802
I have a screencap of where there are replies in a thread, but the notifications tab of the app do not show them, and there was no push notification popup either at the time, although screenshotting something *not* happening is, obviously, impossible.
I'm crashing after a 15+ hour day, and can't remember where my phone is, but suffice it to say I know I've got screenshots of the disparity, and I'll post them in response once I'm less fried (and find my droidphone).
The app is awesome.
Thanks so much for responding on this.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!