last night I made some improvements to batched sprite rendering in chickadee. the code is simpler and I finally added support for tinting sprites with an arbitrary color. I am able to render ~10,000 stationary sprites at 60fps with very little GC on my ever-aging thinkpad x220.

I did a quick benchmark with sprites + linear velocity and I was still able to render around 10,000 sprites at 60fps. I'm pretty happy with this, especially given that each vertex (4 per sprite) is being transformed by an arbitrary 4x4 transformation matrix on the CPU. I think it's definitely in "good enough" territory for now.

Sign in to participate in the conversation

A Mastodon instance for cats, the people who love them, and kindness in general. We strive to be a radically inclusive safe space. By creating an account, you agree to follow our CoC.