my train broke down this morning so I spent an extra hour poking at my spatial partitioning code that I've been struggling to optimize. I was able to make a small step forward. I rewrote the function that moves and re-categorizes the partitions an object is in and now it can handle ~1000 moving objects at 60fps when collision detection is disabled. the next, and more difficult, challenge will be to optimize the collision detection algorithm. as of now performance tanks with ~150 objects.

flock of birbs
Follow

I think there's still another optimization pass or two needed after that because the GC is still running too often.

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Toot.Cat

A Mastodon instance for cats, the people who love them, and kindness in general. We strive to be a radically inclusive safe space. By creating an account, you agree to follow our CoC below.

Instance Administration

  • Woozle: Supreme Uberwensch, general support, web hostess
  • Charlotte: tech support, apprentice in warp-drive arcana (aka Mastomaintenance)
  • ash: backend stuff, gay crimes

The Project: